How does the integration work?
When integrated with Intercom, Survicate can send your users’ responses as events, attributes, tags and notes. There are several ways you can survey your users:
Add survey question to your Intercom in-app messages – both manual and automated.
Send survey questions in your Intercom e-mails.
For in-message and email survey you choose your audience based on your Intercom data. In both cases you can set-up follow-up questions to be asked on a landing page.
Trigger Survicate survey widget in application or your website. You can target those surveys based on traffic sources, behaviour, previous answer, technology and many other factors. Users can answer multiple follow-up questions without being redirected to a landing page.
How to enable integration?
If you want to use in-message surveys that will be sent with Intercom you need to take following steps only. When using targeted website surveys you need to take following steps and two additional steps described below this section.
- Log in to your Survicate account
- In the top menu find Settings -> Domain settings -> Integrations
- Find and click on Intercom logo
- Authorise integration. Survicate uses OAuth to authorize with Intercom so you can be sure we don’t send anything unnecessary. Press ‘Connect with Intercom’ button, and confirm connection in a window that appears.
- Choose how data should be sent to Intercom
- Enable integration and click on save at the bottom of the pop-up window.
Additional configuration for Targeted Website Surveys
There are two additional steps that need to be taken in order for the integration to work with targeted website surveys.
- Install Survicate tracking code on your website / within your app
- Copy, modify and paste code that will allow Survicate to track identities of users of your app and website. Here’s a description for your developer. This code associates Intercom user IDs with Survicate visitor ID. Here’s the code:
Integration configuration screen
This is Intercom integration configuration screen. You can access it by going to Integrations under Domain Settings in the top Survicate menu and clicking on Intercom logo.
Choose how you would like to have your Survicate data sent to Intercom:
- Push tags for visitors. When creating a survey, you can tag answers and surveys themselves. When a user answers, he will get corresponding tags. Those will be sent to Intercom upon answer received. It happens every time a user answers a question, even if he doesn’t complete a whole survey.
- Push events for visitors – this will record an event in Intercom upon answers received. In event’s properties you can find response details.
- Send answers as custom attributes. These are the user properties, details you can find on the right-hand side of your Intercom user profile – we send them as a pair of question and answer. To make that data more usable, you can change how it should be sent to Intercom with so-called Mapping. For example, instead of recording attribute as ‘What industry are you in?’, ‘I’m in saas business baby’, you can change that to a ‘Industry’, ‘Saas’.
Send text answers as notes. Text answers are impossible to standardize, so we send them as notes, so if you happen to handle your users manually, you may find it useful in direct communication.
Creating and launching your survey
To create your survey, go to Survicate dashboard and click on yellow plus button.
In-message & Email NPS surveys are created in Survicate but need to be copied and then sent with Intercom in-app or e-mail messages.
Targeted Website Survey can be configured and launched within Survicate.
This is how you set up tags and mapping for your questions in Survicate:
Survey question in Survicate
And this is how it will be recorded on Intercom user profile.